Moving Checklist for Your Chicago Move!
Wm Meyers Movers Inc, has been working to make moving easier since 1926. Our decades and generations of experience have provided us with the best advice you can get on the topic of moving. We strive to make your move stress-free. Consider this checklist below to help you stay organized and prepared throughout your move process.
PLAN YOUR MOVE
6 weeks before you move
- Call Meyers Movers for your free in home estimate.
5 weeks before your move
- Confirm your move with Meyers Movers and sign the deal.
- Identify prohibited items and make arrangements during the move.
- Prepare to handle your pets during the move.
- Remove and dispose items you don’t want to carry.
- Call Meyers Movers and get your packing materials delivered.
4 weeks before you move
- Inform people of your new address with the assistance of Updater-a free service that helps with change of address, utilities, cable, moving announcements, etc.
- Notify banks and other financial institutions about your move.
- Round up passports, financial papers or checkbooks, birth/marriage certificates and other family documentation and keep separate from other papers you may not need during your transition.
3 weeks before you move
- Separate favorite toys and household articles.
- Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date.
- Arrange for mail to be forwarded.
2 weeks before you move
- Start to dismantle climbing frames/garden furniture.
- Agree upon an insurance value and terms with your mover.
- Make arrangements of connection of services to your new home.
- Return library books.
1 week prior to move
- Designate a closet or corner of a room for all of your “hand carry” items such as: papers for closing, change of clothing, cell phone chargers, medications, and anything else you may need, but may not have access to immediately.
3 days before your move
- Defrost the refrigerator/freezer.
- Plan simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances.
- Separate luggage items you need for personal travel.
- Clean garden tools, bicycles and other gardening equipment.
- Empty the tanks of powered tools such as mowers.
- Check you have enough medication for at least two weeks, and ensure you have copies of any necessary prescriptions for use at destination.
- Collect travelers checks or local currency.
- Arrange for someone to look after the children on moving day.
And please contact Meyers Movers for all of your moving and storage needs! We are here to help!